Red Rose - A Guide to Red Roses
Red roses are the most widely known symbol of love. There is a mythical story behind the color of this
beautiful and elegant flower. It is said that Venus, the goddess of love in the Ancient Greek and Roman
mythology, stepped her foot in a white rose as she ran to save her lover, who was in danger.
The thorn pricked her skin and a drop of the goddess’s blood dripped onto the white rose’s petals and it became red, the red rose we all know and love today.
Red Rose Description
- Family: Rosaceae
- Origin: Red roses are known to have been cultivated by even the earliest societies, when the Greeks and the Romans associated the red rose with the Goddess of Love, but it was the Chinese who brought them to Europe in the 1800s.
- Sun exposure: Red roses prefer full sun when growing – 6 to 8 hours per day if possible.
- Height: Red roses grow up to 4 feet tall.
- Soil: Red roses’ soil must be well-drained, having lots of nutrients, with a ph of 5.5 to 7.
- Leaves: Red rose leaves are oval with serrated margins. They are dark green in color and their shade never fades away.
- Blooming time: Red roses are known to bloom throughout the entire year.
- Maintenance: Fertilize the soil in which you want to plant your red roses. Keep their roots moist until the planting time and plant them about 3 inches deep in the ground. If you keep your roses during winter in the cold, protect them with plastic covers so that don’t freeze.
- Propagation method: Red roses may be propagated from seeds, from stem cuttings, by division, layering, budding, grafting, hybridizing, micro-propagation or planting bare root red roses.
Red Rose Species
There are tons of sorts of roses out there, in your garden, in the wild, for you to enjoy and cherish. Here are some of the most beautiful yellow rose species: Ann Endt, Cl Etoille de Holland, Mon Cheri, American Spirit¸Altissimo, Europeana, Frozen Mister Lincoln, Taboo rose, Eyepaint, Papa Meilland, Kardinal, Bulls Red, Red Ribbons, Candella, Cramosi Superior, Rosenthal, Crimson Glory, Linda Campbel, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Diablo, L.D.Braithwaite, Dublin Bay, Trumpeter, R.moyesii, Black Magic and many more.
Red Rose Meaning
It’s simple! Red roses mean “I Love You”, they are a symbol for romance and true love. Red roses stand
for appreciation and fidelity and they are the strongest message of love you can give or receive.
So, keep in mind: red roses equal love, passion, desire and if you ever want to tell someone you love them and you aren’t so good with words, just bring them a nice red rose bouquet and they will surely get your hint.
Red Roses Arrangements
Red roses arrangements are very popular. Red roses are used in various floral arrangements and they are very
admired. You will see red rose arrangements not only in baskets, but also in ceramic vases or set as
centerpieces. Valentine’s Day red rose arrangements are one of a kind! Heart shaped arrangements are
very fashionable that time of the year and you will see them a lot in florist's shops!
Red roses may be mixed with red gerbera daisies, yellow cushion daisies or blue delphinium. Red roses arrangements look really pretty with stargazer lilies, also.
They can be used as sympathy flowers as well, as they are very powerful flowers that express deep feelings.
Red Rose Bouquets
Round red rose bouquets are the best! Mixed with white flowers, like stephanotis, they have a really
sweet look. Seeded Eucalyptus may be another option, but for a cascade red rose bouquet, mix red roses
with white or stargazer lilies and you will have a piece of art in your hands.
Red roses may be mixed with yellow freesia or pale pink carnations. In a posey red rose bouquet, white pearls may be sprinkled on their blooms and a satin ribbon may be wrapped round their thorn free stems.
Red Roses in Gardens
Red roses must be planted in a sunny place, so choose your spot carefully. Before planting, fertilize
the soil in which your red roses will grow and mulch, mulching is very much needed.
Remove any dried stems or blooms to encourage a new growth and if you can, place your red rose bush near a white orchid tree. The scenery will be spectacular in spring and early summer when all of them will be in bloom.
To keep your red roses fresh for a long period of time, make sure their vase water is very clean, at all
times. If you notice that your red rose blooms are dying, re-cut their stems and submerge the flowers in
warm water (not hot) for about an hour or so, they will surely revive after that. Also, to avoid bacteria,
remove all leaves and thorns below the water.
The red rose is a classic flower. It is the flower of love and passion. The red rose has such a deep meaning that words are in vain when they appear. Red roses can best be described using only feelings of love and caring, red roses are unique and romantic!